On a sunny morning in May 1939 a phalanx of 800 women - housewives,
doctors, opera singers, politicians, prostitutes - were marched
through the woods fifty miles north of Berlin, driven on past a
shining lake, then herded through giant gates. Whipping and kicking
them were scores of German women guards.
Their destination was Ravensbrück, a concentration camp designed
specifically for women by Heinrich Himmler, prime architect of the
Nazi genocide.... more...